Sunday, October 27, 2013

Observation 2. 10/22/13

This observation of my MicroAquarium had many different things going on. In the past observation there was little action, and more stationary organisms. This time I had numerous active organisms in my MicroAquarium. Most of the organisms I found were in the lower part of my tank. It seemed there was some nesting in the soil maybe. Some of the organisms I identified were Flagella, Colpidium, and Diatoms. The Flagella moved around rapidly in somewhat of a circular motion and there was high densities of them. The Colpidium (Figure 1.) moved around at a slower pace and there was fewer of them compared to the Flagella. The Diatoms were all around the tank but did not move. Week two of my MicroAquarium proved to be more active and week three observations should be even more active.










'








Figure 1. (Patterson 1996)

Bibliography

Patterson D.J. 1996. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa. London. Manson Publishing Ltd. 223 p.

No comments:

Post a Comment